Fire Box

Discussion of specific projects
Richard
Re-enactment Group Affiliations: Black ravens / Company of the Staple

Fire Box

Post by Richard » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:06 pm

Hey all,
Given the appalling weather, I started working on the group fire-box today. Here's an update on progress:

After much faffing around, eventually went for a 450 x 550 x 110mm design, in 3mm steel. Sides were scored with an angle grinder so they could be folded into place. Everything was then welded up.

I should get the remainder of the work finished tomorrow, so we'll have a nice new firebox for testing at Rowany. All up cost to the group comes to about 30 bucks. Such is the joy of buying off-cut steel.

Also, the thing weighs a **** ton. and that's an imperial ton too.
Attachments
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG (53.42 KiB) Viewed 6239 times
IMG_0472.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG (54.38 KiB) Viewed 6239 times

Richard
Re-enactment Group Affiliations: Black ravens / Company of the Staple

Re: Fire Box

Post by Richard » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:11 pm

Finished construction on the box today. Only thing left to do is to point the legs next time I have the forge burning.

Hopefully all the shiny bits will blacken up the first time we light a fire in it. A few of the welds resemble a dogs breakfast, but they are on the inside and should be plenty strong enough.
Attachments
IMG_0476.JPG
IMG_0476.JPG (54.51 KiB) Viewed 6232 times

Elden

Post by Elden » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:42 am

Fantastic! Looks great Richard. Can't wait to give it a run in a couple of weeks. :) We shall freeze no longer.

Hugh

Post by Hugh » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:54 am

That looks awesome!

I wonder if that means we can put it under our awning over night at festival so any overnight drizzle doesn't affect it? ;-)

I'll bring my fire gloves - just need a 2nd pair if it's going to be a 2 person lift.

Roxy

Post by Roxy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:28 am

Fire Box worked awesomely at Festival. It was a lot more efficient than I think most of us were expecting - very little ash was accumulating despite all the wood being piled in.

At night, the smoke was mostly going above people's heads and the light was being cast on faces rather than the ground although it did have a large shadow in front of it which hid the tripod (3 times...)

It worked really well with the modern pot for cooking being suspended over the fire with a tripod, it will be interesting to see how the ceramic pots from Alex go on it.

Roxy

Post by Roxy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:25 pm

Richard has since made two gutter grills since we've advanced to charcoal technology. Also, trivets for the saucepans makes things a lot easier.

Ceramics have to be gently warmed in the firebox off the fire but three (four?) events done so far without any dramas at all. :D

Firebox has turned rather black from soot and heat, no longer shiny at all.