Roxy's guide to cooking a 14th Century Lunch for 20 people

Discussion of specific projects
Roxy

Roxy's guide to cooking a 14th Century Lunch for 20 people

Post by Roxy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:15 pm

This guide assumes that there will be vegetarian dietary restrictions, but nothing else.

Equipment
Firebox
2 x carving knifes
4 x wooden boards

The recipes
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c9- ... sp=sharing

On the Day
Cheese
Bread
Cheese Fritters (V)
Reheat of Lamb Harricot
Fennel Soup (V)
Pink Garlic Sauce (V)
Cameline (V)
Pepper Sauce (V)

Precook:

Lamb Harricot ($25)
2 Lamb Shoulder Roasts ($50)
Fruit Tarts V
Tart on Ember Day V
Chicken Pie
Chicken Meatballs
Alymond Fritters (V)
Chicken Pate
Hard Boiled Eggs

To Buy
Cheese, cold meats
Quince paste
Fresh Fruits, dried fruits

Things to consider now
Do you have enough food bags/tea towels, plates, containers, serving devices for the lunch?

Have you got enough serving boards? We make our serving boards out of pine (we get the boards from bunnings who cut them down to size. We then sand them down and round the corners and then they are rubbed with beeswax.) You cannot wash boards rubbed with beeswax with hot water. The wax will come off. Don't do it.

Ikea has cheap white linen tea towels with red stripes on the short ends. The stripes should be on the long ends but otherwise it's pretty good. Otherwise, hem linen cloth.

I french seam my food bags, even though we're not sure if that's a period technique.

Will you be able to have a fire pit or do you need a fire box?

Have you got fire gloves, tongs, trivet, cooking tools etc etc.

Two weeks before
Check charcoal supply and order charcoal if needed. We use Emberpak, who are based in Mt Druitt, Sydney. It cost me $47 for a 20k bag of charcoal and it has done 2 shows and will probably do a third.

Week Before

Precook time.

I precook the following things:

Lamb roast (there is no recipe for this, you want a good size shoulder or leg roast. Rub it with lard and cook like a roast)
Lamb Harricote
Fruit Tarts
Tart de Ember
Custarde de flesche
Chicken Meatballs
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c9- ... sp=sharing

Night Before

Soak the ceramics.
Soak the food bags in vinegar, wring and let dry. This will help keep flies away from the food. Also, it looks good if you put the cold meats in it and hang it up with some rosemary.
Check that the knives and serving equipment is clean
Hard boil some eggs.
Check that all the food that was bought/precooked is in an easily accessible place ready for the next day.

Day of

Get the fire started.

Start warming up ceramic pots near, but not on the fire.

If you are making bread from scratch, start doing this once the public are allowed on site.

If you are making cheese from scratch, this should be done as early as possible to get it off the fire. (Here is a basic guide to cheese making although we use vinegar, not lemon juice.

Squash the grapes for pink garlic sauce and get this on the boil.

Since I precooked the lamb stew, the fennel soup will take the longest amount of time. Begin chopping vegetables.

Lamb stew in other pot.

Shallow saucepan, start frying the flat breads.

I think the meatballs are quite tasty cold, but if you want them warm you should warm them.

Carve the lamb roast into slices.

Cameline Sauce

Pepper Sauce

Assuming that you have a firebox and you need to take it home, you should stop cooking around 2 to allow the metal to cool enough to take home.

Must edit this to fix but since recipes were there, have decided to post.