Elden's New Purse

Discussion of specific projects
Hugh

Elden's New Purse

Post by Hugh » Sun May 11, 2014 1:54 pm

This is a purse I recently finished making for Elden.

Referencing
It's based on a composite of 3 extant purses of similar style. The cupid's bow shape is taken from The Dordretch Purse (Goubitz, fig. 13, P. 16, Purses in Pieces). The purselet design is taken from Goubitz (fig. 30, P. 26, Purses in Pieces). The third reference purse is a find from Stockholm, Sweden, which was used for all other details, including the binding, and belt loop cut-away. Ill put the details of that 3rd purse up later once I look up the photos of it.

Recreation - Materials
The extant purses were made from calf skin for the main panels, and I chose to use deer hide as we can't get calf skin here, and the records I've read on calf skin say it's thin & supple, which makes deer hide a fair match.
The thin leather used for purselets on extant purses was goat skin, and I've used sheep skin for this purse as it was the closest I had available at the time.
The thread used to sew the extant purses has all degraded, and was likely linen thread, so I've used waxed linen thread for all sewing.
The cloth panel on an extant purse has left impressions of the weave, though no remains, so I've used linen as it is a likely candidate for that material.

Recreation - Construction
The following pics are a record of this purse being built. I'll be releasing a PDF document of these photos along with more description of each step and a scan of the patterns once I find time.
The high res pics are on google plus, so hopefully this link works: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1007 ... 9084882721